The History of the Plantation Police Department
The “tree city” of the west, was incorporated on April 30, 1953. The new city covered an area from State Road 7 to where Hiatus Road is now. Everything west of University Drive was cow pastures or vacant land. Today Plantation covers 23 square miles.
The city was founded by Fred Peters as a “bedroom community” and although that sense of Plantation still exists, the city has developed well beyond, with nearly 82,934 residents and first-class shopping, dining, entertainment and has the best city recreation program.
Our department handles an average of 56,350 calls for police service a year. This service is provided by 192 sworn officers & 103 civilian support personnel.
A mission statement has been developed outlining our department’s “partnership” with the community, and this is emphasized by the many community oriented efforts of the members of the department.
The History of the Plantation Police Department Motorcycle Unit
In 1965 the Plantation Police Department established it’s first Motorcycle Unit when the Chief of Police handed Sgt, Stanley Stake with the keys to a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. The Motor Unit has been running strong ever since.
Information and Photos provided by the Plantation, FL Police Department and Plantation Historical Society.