The History of the Appleton Police Shoulder Patch
Appleton Police Officers first wore a shoulder patch in December 1961. It was a diamond shaped black and gold patch worn only on the left sleeve of the officer’s uniform. The department changed to it’s second patch in February 1966. The current patch has been worn since May 13, 1996.
The History of the Appleton Police Department Motorcycle Unit
First motorcycle went on duty with A.P.D. on 10-02-1911. This was an Excelsior M.C.
In Sept. 1912 the department changed to a Thor.
Report on 01-15-1915 states that the department motorcycle put on 12,000 miles during the year 1914.
On 03-16-1916 the department received a new Big Valve Twenty horse power Excelsior motorcycle.
1918 the department had two Excelsior motorcycles.
1926 Three motorcycles
In 1950 the department had 6 motorcycles.
In 1960 the department had 11 motorcycles
The department last used motorcycles in the 1970’s, but then in 1981 the department received a 750cc Honda motorcycle and used it for about 3 years.
Information and Photos provided by the Appleton, WI Police Department