History of the Odessa Police Shoulder Patch
Our uniform patch has gone through several changes over our Department’s history. Our current patch has several variations for civilian members in uniform. All sworn personal wear the variation enclosed. It depicts a pumpjack, an oil derrick and a refinery because of our oil industry. The Permian Basin is noted for being one of the largest oil producing regions in the nation and maintains a significant amount of the nation’s oil reserve.
History of the Odessa Police Department
In 1939, The City purchased its first police car, a 1939 Plymouth, for $840.00. We now have 103 units assigned to the police Department at an average cost of $22,000 per unit.
In 1949 the City Council awarded a bid for construction of a new Fire/Police facility for $165,000. We now have a $10,000,000 Police/Municipal Court facility. This facility houses 180 sworn personnel plus 50 civilians. The bureaus include Patrol, Criminal Investigation and Support Services. We also have Training, Traffic and Criminalistics Divisions. In addition there are specialized units including S.W.A.T. and K-9.
History of the Odessa Police Department Motorcycle Unit
The Motorcycle Unit was first placed into service in October 1939. In 1958, the vehicle fleet of the Odessa Police Department consisted of 10 Patrol cars, 3 Detective Units, 1 Accident Unit, 7 Motorcycles, an Assistant Chief’s car and a Chief’s car. All officers received a new badge at a cost of $10.00 each. The population of the City of Odessa was 79,521 people. Odessa Police Department Motorcycles were removed from service by City Manager Bill Brown in June 1989, just 4 months short of 50 years. At this time there were 19 Motors in service.
Information and Photos provided by the Odessa, TX Police Department.