The History of the Chicago Police Department Motorcycle Unit
On January 31, 1835 the State of Illinois authorized the Town of Chicago to establish its own force. On August 15, 1835 Orsemus Morrison is elected Chicago’s first constable, assisted by Constable Luther Nichols and John Shrigley. The three-man police force serves and protects a population of about 3,200. The Police Department pre-dates Chicago as a city. In 1910 the departments expands its service by introducing two new police vehicles Motorcycles and Boats. Then in 1959 the Chicago Park District Police (Lincoln Park, South Park, and West Park) merge with the Chicago Police Department. Today the motor units are used for Special Events and parades.
Information and Photos provided by the Chicago, IL Police Department.