History of the Oshkosh Police Department Motorcycle Unit
In 1914, the first piece of motorized equipment was added to the police department, this being a one cylinder excelsior motorcycle, which was a great asset to the department in the handling of the rapidly growing number of motor vehicles on the road at that time. In 1917, the city acquired its first combination ambulance and patrol wagon, a great improvement over the horse drawn equipment , which it replaced. It was not until 1924 that the first squad car was purchased, this being a Model T. Ford touring car. Prior to the time that the first motorcycle was added, the police officers on outlying beats patrolled with bicycles.