Our law enforcement agency began in Arlington in 1894 with the appointment of a City Marshal. By 1950 the Arlington Police Department had nine (9) paid officers on the roster and an annual budget of $50,880. Today a commissioned strength of over 600 and a non-commissioned staff of close to 200 serve the citizens of Arlington with a budget of approximately $70 Million. Since 1934, only five Police Chiefs have served in Arlington.
The Department operates its own Police Academy out of the Training Center. The first class graduated June 8, 1990. The Arlington Police Department has been nationally accredited from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. in 1989 and was recently reaccredited in 2008.
Located between Fort Worth and Dallas, Arlington encompasses approximately 100 square miles and has over 370,000 residents. Located with in Tarrant County, Arlington is the seventh largest city in the state and home to the Texas Ranger, Rangers Ballpark, and Six Flags over Texas. In 2009, Arlington welcomed the Dallas Cowboys football team to the colossal Cowboys Stadium.